CSEA Services

What services does the CSEA provide?

Depending on the nature of a case, the CSEA may be able to provide one or more of the following services:

  • Paternity establishment for children born out-of-wedlock or for whom paternity is still a legal issue
  • Support order establishment
  • Medical order establishment
  • Collection and disbursement of support payments
  • Support order modification
  • Support and medical order enforcement
  • Issuance of withholding orders
  • Location of individuals who have a duty to pay child support


What services are NOT provided by the CSEA?

The Ohio Administrative Code and Ohio Revised Code outline the limitations of the CSEA. CSEA does NOT:

  • Participate in visitation or custody matters.
  • Offer and/or dispense legal advice.
  • Provide representation for either party at court hearings. Although the CSEA may have an attorney present at court hearings, he/she represents the best interest of the child(ren).
  • Give credit for direct payments (payments made outside of the CSEA). By law direct payments are considered a gift.
  • Dictate or verify how support is utilized. (i.e. rent, utilities, food, clothing, etc.)
  • Discuss a case with a third party without receiving prior written consent of a case participant.


How can I change my name?

Contact the CSEA and provide them with proof of a name change such as a social security card. The Agency cannot update the information without proof of a name change.


How can I get my driver license reinstated?

According to the Ohio Administrative Code, certain criteria must be met before a license can be reinstated. Contact your Case Manager to discuss your case.



Is my case confidential?

Yes, case information is kept confidential. In accordance with Ohio Administrative Code, case information may only be disclosed to an authorized requestor for an authorized purpose.


How do I give permission for the Agency to talk to someone other than me to discuss my case?

In order for the Agency to be able to discuss your case with someone else (such as husband, wife, significant other, parent, Attorney) a NOTARIZED release form must be completed. Please note this release does not allow this Representative to speak on your behalf at a Court hearing. A release form, commonly known as a Third Party Release, can be obtained by contacting the Agency.


How do I protect my information from not being on a Court Order or other Agency documents?

The Agency can take actions to remove identifying information from future Court filings/Agency documents. This can occur when there is reasonable evidence that the release of such information (such as an address) could result in harm to the parent and/or child. Reasonable evidence is defined as: protection order issued by the Court; reports issued by police/court/domestic violence shelter/medical professionals/other government agencies; or a Court Order listing the parent/child as a victim of a crime committed by the other parent. A client must provide a copy of such an order or report to the Agency.


When contacting the CSEA, what information should I have available?

Depending on the nature of the case, the Agency may need the following information:

  • Names, addresses and Social Security numbers of all the parties involved.
  • Copies of the child(ren)’s birth certificate.
  • The names and addresses of the payer’s current or recent employer or sources of income.
  • The names and addresses of the payer’s friends and relatives who the parent may have contact with.
  • Information about the income and other assets of the payor.
  • If paternity is an issue, the names, addresses, or any other relevant information on all presumed and alleged fathers.
  • Copies of court orders.




Can I make a payment with cash?

Cash payments for any Ohio order may be made in person at the CSEA reception window at: 140 N. Sandusky St, 3rd Floor, Delaware, OH, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. The SETS case number or client social security number is needed for proper posting.


Can I make a payment directly to the other party?

Direct payments are considered a gift. By law, all payments are to be made through the Agency.


What is the administrative fee?

The administrative fee is the state-mandated 2 percent monthly charge on top of the support order amount. It is a processing/administration fee. Ohio law requires SETS to not allocate any dollars to current administrative fee until other “current obligations” are met or to administrative fee arrears until all support arrears are paid.

The child is now living with me. How do I stop my support payments?

The Agency cannot assist parties with custody changes. You must petition the Court on your own or through a private attorney.


Why am I not receiving my full monthly order each month?

By law, support orders are issued in a monthly format. However, most payors/employers forward payments in a weekly or biweekly fashion. Weekly and monthly do not translate equally in any given month. Keep in mind that weekly payments are forwarded 52 times a year (the monthly order times 12 months divided by 52 weeks) and biweekly payments are forwarded 26 times a year (the monthly order times 12 months divided by 26 pays).


When does my support end?

Unless specified differently in a court order, in Ohio child support terminates upon the child turning 18; or if a child is enrolled in a full time accredited high school, support terminates at graduation, not to exceed age 19. CSEA will conduct a termination investigation upon the child’s emancipation and issue to both parties. There is a 30 day objection period. If neither party objects, the court will adopt the Agency recommendation as a final order.


How do I terminate or suspend my child support?

The following are reasons a support order can be terminated if a child:

  • Gets married
  • Is emancipated by court order
  • Dies
  • Is deported
  • Enlists in the armed services
  • Has a change in legal custody
  • Reaches the age of 18 and graduates from high school

It is the residential parent’s responsibility to contact the CSEA for any reason to notify why the support order should terminate. The CSEA will conduct a termination investigation at that point.

If both parties are residing together, they may request the CSEA to assist them in suspending their child support. They are required to send in a signed and notarized statement requesting support to be suspended, including the date they started residing together. The statement will be filed with the court. CSEA will not address any arrears owed on the case and will continue to collect until paid in full. If a party is receiving benefits through the Department of Job and Family Services, he/she may not qualify for the support to be suspended.

At any time, parties may file a petition with the Court on their own or through private counsel to terminate or suspend support.


How can I get support modified?

Your case must meet one of the criteria listed on the Request for an Administrative Review form before the Agency can modify your order. To print a Request for an Administrative Review form visit the Modification of Support Orders page.


smiONE Visa Card for Receiving Child Support Payments

Who do I contact if I have issues with my smiONE Visa Card?

Visit www.smionecard.com

Call smiONE Customer Service at 1-855-279-2744

How do I change my name on my smiONE Visa Card?

In order to make a name change on the smiONE card, complete these steps in this order:

  1. Contact your county Child Support Enforcement Agency and report the name change.
  2. Contact smiONE Customer Service at 1-855-279-2744 to have a new card issued.

What if my smiONE card is lost or stolen?

Immediately contact smiONE Customer Service at 1-855-279-2744.  Notifying Customer Service makes your card invalid for any future use for purchase or attempts to get cash.  This protects your funds in the account.

What if I need Customer Service on my old e-QuickPay card?

Child Support payments switched from the e-QuickPay “bird” card to the smiONE Visa Card in July 2019.  You can still contact e-QuickPay Customer Service at 1-800-503-1283 for any questions or issues relating to the previous Child Support payment card.


Genetic Testing

How is genetic testing done?

Testing is performed using the buccal swab method, which is a simple, painless mouth swab of the mother, child and alleged father.


How long does it take for testing results to be received?

Results are returned to the Agency in approximately 3 to 6 weeks.


How much does genetic testing cost?

If the Paternity Affidavit has not been signed, testing is usually provided at no charge through the Agency. If the Paternity Affidavit has been signed, parties have 60 days from the date of the last signature to request genetic testing.